Saturday 27 July 2013

I love old fashioned flowers

For me the best place to be at Hampton Court was the floral Marquee. 
Nothing is quite like getting up close and personal with the exhibits on display there. 

Stunning, unusual  Lilies 

Polar Ice, white tinged with green looks like shards of ice sticking out of the polar surface
 and Elodie, double layers of candy pink petals looks almost edible in it's sweetness.


Dahlia Mick's Peppermint and Striped Vulcan.

Lupin Saffron, creamy, buttery and almost like popcorn. 


Not my favourite flower but you have to admire this display of Chrysanthemums, 
a deserved gold medal winner. Every flower is the same size, shape and colouring, 
in one word: perfection.


 I loved this display of sweet peas. Yes the display might look a little dated nowadays 
but it shows the flowers to their best advantage with their long stems nice and symmetrical. 
I wish mine looked like that in the garden but I shouldn't complain,
last year I sowed 4 packets and only 5 plants survived. 
This year there must be at least 50 plants flowering their socks off.
These I remember from growing them about 10 years ago on a balcony in Holland. 
They were called something like Wiltshire Ripple then, not Harlequin as they're 
known on this display. Stunning effect whatever the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment